Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pondering a Soapbox issue....

SEX EDUCATION IN HIGH SCHOOLS...

This topic is in the news lately in Wisconsin. WI Governor Doyle passed a new law recently that requires schools to teach teens about birth control and sexually transmission diseases. Apparently this will have to change some "abstinence only" sex education programs in some of schools to be more comprehensive. This is kind of a soapbox for me.

I myself am I firm believer in abstinence before marriage however I do realize that there are many other adults and teens in our country that do not hold that same value or even at the same level of importance that I hold it. Teen pregnancy is still an issue in our country. My aspiration is always to not think less of others who have different opinions and values than me on this issue or any others, but to live my life being a respectful Christian who lives out my life of faith as a witness to those around me. I also believe that abstinence only education is really not that affective considering if teens don't hold that value, then they are left without accurate information regarding decisions that will affect thier life forever.

I was blessed to attend a private school through 8th grade that provided sex education that was Christian and focused on abstinence, however even that curriculum could use some fine tuning. My public high school education was fairly comprehensive from what I remember. I honestly learned the most and am most appreciate of my Christian college's Human Sexuality class that I participated in for my degree in Social work. It was so geniune in approach and honestly addressed issues that everyone should be educated about no matter what your values are.

In my experience being a social worker in milwaukee, I have seen,interacted and interviewed teens from all demographics (income level,race, culture, education) who have chosen to be sexually active and became pregnant or have STDS. I have been shocked to realize how little and uninformed many of these young teens are about the reality of how they accquired an STD, an unplanned pregnancy or why thier method of birth control had failed them. There really is a lack of education on this matter in many schools. Yes they learn from some of this issue from thier friends but a lot of it is innacurate. Yes it would be "ideal" if parents always discussed this issue with thier children but the reality is parents don't, even in Christian homes the conversation may not occur but be assumed that they already know.

I tend to be more realistic than idealistic, i blame it on my social work career. Although it might be ideal to teach teens only about abstinence as it is the only "guaranteed" form of birth control and prevention of STDS, and has many many many more benefits in life and marriage, it is not realistic for all to hold these values, especially if they are not Christian and know the spiritual and relationship benefits for "waiting".

Not informing teens about birth control or the harmful effects of STDS, or life altering decision of a teen pregnancy, ultimately leaves teens blinded about the true consequences of thier choices. Choices they make are based on THIER values, not our Christian values.

If I had the power to decide what sex education was like in all middle and high schools ,I would chose the same for all of them. A curriculum that discusses the benefits of abstinence in detail but also discusses the needed information for teens regarding birth control, legal consequences for sex as a minor and information on STDS and teen pregnancy.

Do i think it is a great idea for condoms to be handed out at school? No. Do I think that is the role of a school? No. Do I think we as Christians need to step outside our values and morals and take a look at what today's teens are really like in this world? Yes. We need to not be naive, but to educate and pray the teens we know will make good decisions based on the information given them.

We REALLY need to have our churches and youth groups openly and honestly discuss issues regarding sex, sex education, abstinence and human sexuality without taboo. We need to love others as Christ has loved us. We need to not turn others away from Christ due to our judgement of thier values, but rather pray for them, offer conversation when asked and live out our lives as a testimony of God's love for us and for them.

Yes. That is my soapbox. I haven't had a post like this in a while, I welcome your comments:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN PREACH IT AMY!! Working in the ER this post totally makes sense to me! So often we diagnose std's, teenage unplanned pregnancies, and such. Although the conservative upbringing you and I had tells us that we should be teaching everyone about being abstinent until marriage, unfortunately it is not realistic and you and I have seen this way too much. I totally agree with everything you said. You rock!!

Nicki